Triggering a build

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:00 PM
Hi guys,

Can you please tell me how does the trigger work for Continuous Integration? ie when a checkin is made to a particular branch, is a build kicked off which is dedicated to that branch or does a build kick off when a checkin is made to any branch?

I've been using CI by Khushboo (MS) and I couldn't configure it to listen to a particular source path for a checkin and start a build if a checkin is made to that particular source path. Does TFSBuildLab do this?

Cheers,

Kalim.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2007 at 9:15 AM
The triggers are based on the contents in your changeset and the server path of those. Once we receive the notification we run through the ci triggers to find a match(es) for that particular changeset. The trigger itself is based on regular expressions so you can do some pretty nifty configurations :) also you have the possiblity to configure exclusion paths to a trigger (for example you might not want to trigger a build when you checkin a sql script).

Which build type to run is decided based on two factors:

1, The contents of the changeset is match to the buildtypes workspace mappings if there are one or more matches they are passed along to step 2
2, The affected build types will match the contents of the changeset to the regexp's you have registered on your build type if a match exists the build run

Does this cover you question? Let me know if you need any help in installing and configuring TfsBuildLab.

/Peter
Sep 16, 2007 at 12:36 PM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I installed TFSBuidLab today and had a play around with it to see if it did what our team needs it for. Glad to say it works great and was exactly what I was looking for.

The one concern I do have is the retention policy. It actually deletes the build information completely! I was hoping for it to retain the build information such as changeset information and the like but delete the actual produced software (*.dll, *.exe etc). Any ideas on that?

One other thing.. the Current TFS Status window, the column under the Monitored Build Types called BuildMachine does not populate.

Thanks for a great piece of software,

Kalim
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2007 at 7:09 PM
Really sorry for not responding before now... I guess I responded by mentally making a note about the stuff about the build retentions you mention. I'll look into it, probably wont be hard to do and will most likely just require a flag on the retention policy that you could use if you only need to remove the drop.

Altough I think most of the stats around the build is preserved in the OLAP cube for reports and such, but I can see that you would like to retain access to the build info within the Visual Studio IDE so we will give it ago most likely it will make it into v1.

/Peter
Oct 11, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be great if you could incorprate this. I would like to keepe the build info on the build server but not keep the binaries.

Thanks,

Kalim
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:13 PM
I've just checked in support for only deleting the drop location. I added it to the config file so it is a flag at the moment that switches you between either a full delete or just a delete of the drop. We need som more testing but next weekend we might be able to relase a v1 including this.

/Peter
Oct 13, 2007 at 11:09 PM
Hi Peter,

Much appreciated. Really looking forward to the v1 release. Will there be instrucutions on how to upgrade from beta 2?

Thanks,

Kalim