Instalation docs

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:21 AM
TFSBuildLab could do with some installation documents, particularly for the prerequisites. I'm encountering these as I go. It seems that you need to have installed already:

- SQL server 2005. SQL express might or might not work, but doesn't seem to be well supported in the installer. SQL 200 may or may not work.
- .net 2
- .net 3
- Any others?

Also topology - if you have a TFS server and a build server, does it make sense to put TFSBuildLab on your build server?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Hi Anthony,

I guess you always want more documentation :), we have tried to provide short and consise documentation for the installation procedures in the wiki documentation.

As for the prerequisites, yes you are fully correct that we need a database the assumption is that you will install this database on the datatier of your TFS installation. We have tested SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition but we target SQL Server 2005.

As you point out (and also stated on the download page) we require .net 2 & 3 but that is it. The topology is pretty much up to you, what ever makes sense for you, but our intentions and the way we run it our selves are on the application tier of the TFS installation (altough this is not a requirement). If you want to use the custom build steps on your build server you'll have to copy them there (no setup for this today).

We will try to make yet another push for improving the installation instructions when the v1 release comes (which should be in a couple of weeks), meanwhile feel free to contact us and we will help you as much as we can.

/Peter